How can I backup 4K videos to Synology DS416 and DS216play?
Synology launches the DiskStation DS416 and DS216play. The NAS units are equipped with a powerful hardware encryption engine, DS216play can transcode 4K video on-the-fly and make the 4K file streaming even more convenient. Can Synology DS416/DS216play transcode 4K videos for my device? You may ask and here gives your the best answer.
Video transcoding refers to the process of converting video files originally unsupported by a media player into a compatible format and resolution. You can stream your video collection on your DiskStation DS416 and DS216play to a media player using Video Station, DS video or Media Server. Below are tables indicating the behavior of Synology NAS in respective scenarios.
Video Station and DS video
Table 1 shows the video transcoding capabilities of different Synology NAS groups when streaming video to popular media players with Video Station or DS video.
Table 2 shows the behavior of Synology NAS running Media Server.
Synology NAS Models and Groups
You can refer to the table below to determine which 4K video transcoding group your Synology NAS belongs to.
1. Remuxing here refers to the process of transcoding the audio codec of your video while keeping the video codec intact. This enables your PC browser (without plugin) or your Apple TV to play MP4 or MKV videos whose audio codec is not supported.
2. Any container or file extension in 4K 2160p (4096 x 2160 or 3840 x 2160) with codecs H.264 (AVC), and in 1080p with codecs H.264 (AVC), MPEG-2 and VC-1 can be transcoded up to 1080p by Synology NAS in 4K Group 1. The maximum supported frame rate per second (FPS) is 30. These containers can be MKV, MP4, AVI, TS, MPG, WMV and more. However, these containers/file extensions might come in codecs other than the four mentioned. In that case, videos cannot be transcoded to 1080p. Please refer to this article for more information on the container formats.
3. Any container or file extension in 4K 2160p (3840 x 2160) with codecs H.265 (HEVC), and in 1080p with codecs H.265 (HEVC), H.264 (AVC), MPEG-4 Part 2 (XVID, DIVX5), MPEG-2, and VC-1 can be transcoded up to 1080p by Synology NAS in 4K Group 2. The maximum supported frame rate per second (FPS) is 30. These containers can be MKV, MP4, AVI, TS, MPG, WMV and more. However, these containers/file extensions might come in codecs other than the four mentioned. In that case, videos cannot be transcoded to 1080p. Please refer to this article for more information on the container formats. Other codecs are not supported.
4. 4K Group 1 is capable of transcoding 3GP, 3G2, ASF, AVI, DAT, DivX, DVR-MS, FLV, M2T, M2TS, M4V, MKV, MP4, MTS, MOV, QT, TP, TRP, TS, VOB, WMV, XviD, and RMVB up to 720p. For the complete list of supported file formats in the original and transcoded streams, please see the specifications of Video Station and DS video.
5. 4K Group 2 supports codecs listed in Note 3. Other codecs are not supported.
What if DiskStation DS416 and DS216play can’t transcode your 4K videos?
Since it does have some limits to play 4K video via DiskStation DS416 and DS216play on different platforms. Besides, the codec limitation will also prevent you from uploading 4K video to DiskStation DS416 and DS216play successfully.
Here we recommend you this powerful 4K to NAS Converter- iFastime Video Converter Ultimate, which will convert 4K H.265, XAVC, MXF, MOV, MKV, AVI for storage on DiskStation DS416 and DS216play with ease. Multiple devices can also be supported. This Ultra HD Video Converter is also available to customize the output resolutions to any size the users want. (Read review)
Free Download or Purchase iFastime Video Converter Ultimate:
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/iFastime-Video-Converter-Ultimate/3000-2194_4-76449859.html
- Top 4 Download: http://www.top4download.com/ifastime-video-converter-ultimate/chjkfujg.html
- Free Downloads Center: http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Misc__Sound_Tools/iFastime_Video_Converter_Ultimate.html
- Softonic Download: http://ifastime-video-converter-ultimate.en.softonic.com/
- WinSite Download: http://www.winsite.com/Multimedia/Video/iFastime-Video-Converter-Ultimate/
How to transcode and backup 4K videos to DiskStation DS416 and DS216play
Step 1. Install and run this 4K video converter, then load your H 4K videos into this app by clicking “File”>”Add Video/Audio”. Thanks to the inner decoder and encoder, you can easily import 4K videos. Highlight and double click clips can allow you to preview your video.
Tip: If you have batch files and want to combine them into one, you can select all files you want to merge, and then click “Merge into one file box”.
Step 2. After loading successfully, go to the Format bar then choose “HD Video”>”H.264 HD Video (*.mp4)” for streaming 4K videos to DiskStation DS416 and DS216play, which will totally maintain the sharp quality of the original files.
Step 3. For some users whose videos are 4K and want to maintain the 4K quality, clicking “Settings” to make the default Size (pix) to 3840*2160 will realize this goal. You can type this parameter after the Size (pix) box to replace the 1920*1080. (Or learn how to compress 4K to 1080p)
Step 4. After setting the file location, just hit this “Start conversion” button to start convert your 4K video conversion for backing up 4K videos to DiskStation DS416 and DS216play.
- Top 10 4K Video Cameras
- Rip Blu-ray to NAS for Vivo TV playback
- Play 4K Videos on 21.5-inch iMac 4K
- How can I fix 4K UHD Video Playback Issues?
- Play Fox 4K Blu-ray title without Blu-ray Player
- Transcode Sony a7R II 4K XAVC S to Premiere Elements 14/13/12